My life as a Peace Corps Volunteer...

My life as a Peace Corps Volunteer...

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

And, some Resolutions...

1. Whenever Mali or Malians make me upset, I will take a deep breath, count to 10 (or 20), and really think "Is this worth it?" before getting upset.

2. I will try to be more understanding of how I view "communication" differently than my friends in America - for example, I will try not to get upset when I never get emails or letters from people I've tried to talk to, because my idea of "communication" (sending letters, writing emails, and writing Facebook messages) is different than theirs (not having time to send a long email or response). I forget that I have a lot of time to think about existential life questions when compared to other people, but at the same time, I wish other people would realize that even just a quick "Hello, how are you, I'm busy but I'm thinking about you" response makes me smile. (Hint: Please send me those emails). I will just try to be more understanding and less judgmental. (But, again, THANK YOU to everyone who sends me messages of love and support regularly!)

3. I want to get as in shape as I was in high school. (Haha. These are in no particular order).

4. I want to write more about this experience here, and hopefully turn those writings into something publishable and/or graduate school appropriate.

5. I want to make sure that my village understands how our new Tax Committee will help them in the long run, even if they can't see results immediately. This is a pretty lofty goal, and I do have my doubts. Some people already understand what they call "American economics", and I want to work with them to get through to everyone. I am also going to try to not give up when obstacles come up, as they inevitably will, and I will try to remain positive and not cynical about the financial aid cycle and mindset in Mali.

6. I want to enjoy this last stretch here in Mali and not wish it away by applying for jobs too early!

As a very wise and sassy friend recently told me, "The next few challenges in your life serve as a marathon, not a race, so just keep the finish line in sight." I think that's a good way to start off 2012.

2 comments:

  1. "Grad school appropriate" probably means less description of your wiping techniques and no pictures of diseases.

    But serious talk, where are you looking to land up when you return to the states? CT, RI, DC, or somewhere entirely different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Jessica,
    it's youssef, we met on the train yesterday, I hope you are well arrived, write me on my mail:y.elqandili@gmail.com to keep in touch.
    best regards

    ReplyDelete